Overseas Jobs | Working and living in the Netherlands

toggle menu
Child and dad are reading a book

Applying for child allowance / "Kindgebondenbudget"

When you live and work in the Netherlands, you may qualify for “kindgebondenbudget” or also called “kindertoeslag” which is a child support benefit. Once you have your BSN number, are registered with the Gemeente and have your DigiD, you can apply online for the compensation.  Conditions for the benefit in 2018 can be found on the Belastingdienst website.
You may also qualify for a “Kinderopvangtoeslag” or child care allowance. This means that you get a percentage of the money back that you pay towards any child care such as creches (kinderopvang) or afterschool (buitenschoolse opvang).  Conditions for the benefit in 2017 can be found on the Belastingdienst website.
You apply for the ‘kinderblijslag’ at the SVB (Sociale Verzekeringsbank).

Ask us your question!

Related subjects

Childcare facilities

In the Netherlands there are three main types of organised childcare facilities: Kinderdagverblijf, Gastouder and Buitenschoolse / Naschoolse Opvang - BSO (After School Hours Care). For the childcare facilities you can apply for a “kinderbijslag”.

Education system

From age 4 they attend elementary school (“Basisschool”) of which the first two years are similar to kindergarten, but as soon as your child turns 5 years old they are expected to show up daily.

Dutch language

If your child speaks Afrikaans it takes about three weeks to get used to the Dutch accent, thereafter your child should be able to deduce what is said to him/her if the speaker speaks slowly and with a few hand gestures.

Swimming diploma

It is compulsory for children to go for swimming lessons and to qualify by doing a diploma called “A, B, C” swemdiploma. It makes sense as there is so much water here in the Netherlands!

Medicines and Doctors

Immunizations are done by the Consultatiebureau. If your child has a chronical condition, ask your current physician to draw up a summary of his/her records for you to bring with.


Once in the Netherlands, you'll notice some frequently used terminology, like: kinderdagverblijf, gastouder, naschoolsopvang.