Overseas Jobs | Working and living in the Netherlands

toggle menu
Documents you'll need for accessing the Netherlands

Summary of admin to do upon arrival in the Netherlands

You probably already had a massive amount of admin to wrap up before your relocation to the Netherlands. Within that spirit, here is a list of  the most important processes that you have to do within your first six months in the Netherlands (detailed descriptions to be found further on this website):

  • Fetch your Dutch residency permit (VVR) at the IND.
  • Register with your local municipality, where they will also apply for your BSN number.
  • Apply for a Digi-D.
  • Apply for Kindertoeslag (if applicable).
  • Open a bank account.
  • Research, view and finalise rental accommodation.
  • Apply for medical insurance.
  • Apply to exchange your SA drivers licence (within the first 6 months). 
  • Attend interviews with prospective clients (if applicable).
  • Begin Dutch language lessons.
  • Go for TB screening (within the first 3 months).

Ask us your question!

Related subjects


In the Netherlands there are generally 3 different states of houses for rent: Gemeubileerd (fully furnished), Gestoffeered (basic furnishings) and Kaal (no flooring, light fittings, wall paper / paint, stove, fridge)


Tax advisors, tax rules and everything South African Expats should know before moving to the Netherlands.


Relocating to the Netherlands with your children can be a exiting adventure. Happilly more people faced the same problems as you did.

Other topics

Helpful websites, medical care, articles, international schools, language courses and much more.