Overseas Jobs | Working and living in the Netherlands

toggle menu
People walking on a pavement

Applying for BSN

The BSN number or "Burger Service Nummer", is your tax and social security number.  Every person has a unique number. This is applied for when you register at your municipality for the first time and will be sent to you by post. You need this number to open a bank account, healtcare, education, taxes and governmental benefits. For more information you visit this page: https://www.government.nl/topics/personal-data/citizen-service-number-bsn 


Ask us your question!

Related subjects


To receive a visa you'll need: a passport, Unabridged Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate with an Apostille or marital status document.

Residency permit

As a South African expat who want to live and work in the Netherlands you'll need a residence permit. Notification that you can collect your Residence Permit (In Dutch: Verblijfsvergunning of Verblijfstitel or further referred to as VVR) will be posted to you via Fixx iT.


For this appointment you will need your Unabridged Birth Certificate & Apostille, Marriage Certificate & Apostille (if applicable), proof of residence (rental contract), proof of ID (passport) and employment contract.


The DigiD is a user log-in and password that you must set up to get access to numerous Dutch government websites. You can only apply for the DigiD after you have received your BSN.

Dutch citizenship

There are various processes and means of obtaining Dutch citizenship as a South African. For the purpose of this page, the information provided will describe how to obtain Dutch Citizenship as a knowledge migrant.

Driving licence

For the first 185 days you are allowed to drive with your South African drivers licence. But in this period you need to apply for the Dutch drivers.

TB Examination

Within the first 3 months, you have to go for a TB examination. You can do this at the GGD in Utrecht.