Overseas Jobs | Working and living in the Netherlands

toggle menu
Woman drives a car

Exchange SA driver's license for a Dutch one

This article explains how you can exchange a South African driver's license for a Dutch driver's license. This is only applicable to people (mainly Knowledge Migrant Visa holders) who have been granted the 30% ruling

One of the benefits of the 30% ruling is that you (and your partner) are allowed to exchange your S.A. driver’s license for a Dutch license. For the first 185 days you are allowed to drive with your South African drivers licence. But in this period you need to apply for the Dutch drivers. Once you have received confirmation of approval for the 30% ruling, you have your VVR (verblijfsvergunning), a bank account and a Digi-D, then you can exchange your S.A. licence for a Dutch license.

The process for exchanging your driver’s license explained in 2 steps:

1) Purchase a health questionnaire called an “Eigen verklaring” provided by the CBR. 

With your Digi-D, purchase this form online from the CBR website:


From the menu, select “Eigen verklaring” and select the type "Buitenlands rijbewijs inwisselen" (see figure below):

Go through the wizard to answer the health questions. In the end, you will be requested to pay with iDeal. This costs EUR38 at present.  Should you answer 'No' to any of the questions, you will have to visit a doctor first.  A few days later, you will receive a letter in the post to confirm that you have been cleared. Once you have received this letter, you can schedule your appointment at the Gemeente.

2) Make an appointment at your Gemeente to exchange your license. "Buitenlands rijbewijs inwisselen".

Take the following with you: 

  • CBR letter (Eigen verklaring)
  • Letter from the Belastingdienst confirming that you have been granted the 30% ruling.
  • Your SA driver’s license
  • One passport photo
  • Passport (proof of identity)
  • Money, you will have to pay EUR38.50. This amount varies per Gemeente

Keep a copy of the old licence until the processing is complete, if they do not make a copy of your license for you please ask them to do so. They will keep your SA driver’s license and return it to the SA authorities. You will also receive a letter from the Gemeente as proof that you handed in your Driver’s License, please keep this safe. 

If all goes positive, one will get a letter from the RDW within 3 weeks stating that the driving license application has been approved and that the license can be collected from the Gemeente.

Ask us your question!

Related subjects


To receive a visa you'll need: a passport, Unabridged Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate with an Apostille or marital status document.

Residency permit

As a South African expat who want to live and work in the Netherlands you'll need a residence permit. Notification that you can collect your Residence Permit (In Dutch: Verblijfsvergunning of Verblijfstitel or further referred to as VVR) will be posted to you via Fixx iT.


For this appointment you will need your Unabridged Birth Certificate & Apostille, Marriage Certificate & Apostille (if applicable), proof of residence (rental contract), proof of ID (passport) and employment contract.


It is compulsory to register at the municipality in the Netherlands (In Dutch: “inchrijven bij de Gemeente”) and in the same appointment you will complete the application for your BSN number.


The DigiD is a user log-in and password that you must set up to get access to numerous Dutch government websites. You can only apply for the DigiD after you have received your BSN.

Dutch citizenship

There are various processes and means of obtaining Dutch citizenship as a South African. For the purpose of this page, the information provided will describe how to obtain Dutch Citizenship as a knowledge migrant.

TB Examination

Within the first 3 months, you have to go for a TB examination. You can do this at the GGD in Utrecht.