Overseas Jobs | Working and living in the Netherlands

toggle menu
Expat girl in the Netherlands

Receiving your Dutch Residency Permit / Verblijfsvergunning (VVR) from IND

If you are a South African expat who wants to live and work in the Netherlands you'll need a residence permit.

Residency permit as a knowledge migrant

If you have a company sponsoring you as a knowledge migrant, then you will need to collect your  Residence Permit (In Dutch: Verblijfsvergunning of Verblijfstitel or further referred to as VVR) upon your arrival in the Netherlands. Prior to this, your company should have assisted you with the MVV which is the temporary visa that you use to enter into the country. 

Where to go?

An appointment is necessary and the place can vary, it's either the expat center in Amsterdam or Utrecht but they can also send you to one of the IND offices.

How long does it takes?

It takes up to 3 weeks from your arrival in the Netherlands for your company to receive notification that you can pick up your VVR.  The VVR is in the form of a card. 

Ask us your question!

Related subjects


To receive a visa you'll need: a passport, Unabridged Birth Certificates, Marriage Certificate with an Apostille or marital status document.


For this appointment you will need your Unabridged Birth Certificate & Apostille, Marriage Certificate & Apostille (if applicable), proof of residence (rental contract), proof of ID (passport) and employment contract.


It is compulsory to register at the municipality in the Netherlands (In Dutch: “inchrijven bij de Gemeente”) and in the same appointment you will complete the application for your BSN number.


The DigiD is a user log-in and password that you must set up to get access to numerous Dutch government websites. You can only apply for the DigiD after you have received your BSN.

Dutch citizenship

There are various processes and means of obtaining Dutch citizenship as a South African. For the purpose of this page, the information provided will describe how to obtain Dutch Citizenship as a knowledge migrant.

Driving licence

For the first 185 days you are allowed to drive with your South African drivers licence. But in this period you need to apply for the Dutch drivers.

TB Examination

Within the first 3 months, you have to go for a TB examination. You can do this at the GGD in Utrecht.