Overseas Jobs | Working and living in the Netherlands

toggle menu
Passport on a suitcase

Documents needed to apply for knowledge migrant visa

  • Passports for every member of the family
  • Unabridged Birth Certificates for every member of the family, legalised with an Apostille
  • If married: Unabridged Marriage Certificate, with an Apostille
  • If unmarried and you want your partner to join: marital status document for both you and your partner stating that both your marraige statuses at the South African home affairs are listed as SINGLE

Ask us your question!

Related subjects

Residency permit

As a South African expat who want to live and work in the Netherlands you'll need a residence permit. Notification that you can collect your Residence Permit (In Dutch: Verblijfsvergunning of Verblijfstitel or further referred to as VVR) will be posted to you via Fixx iT.


For this appointment you will need your Unabridged Birth Certificate & Apostille, Marriage Certificate & Apostille (if applicable), proof of residence (rental contract), proof of ID (passport) and employment contract.


It is compulsory to register at the municipality in the Netherlands (In Dutch: “inchrijven bij de Gemeente”) and in the same appointment you will complete the application for your BSN number.


The DigiD is a user log-in and password that you must set up to get access to numerous Dutch government websites. You can only apply for the DigiD after you have received your BSN.

Dutch citizenship

There are various processes and means of obtaining Dutch citizenship as a South African. For the purpose of this page, the information provided will describe how to obtain Dutch Citizenship as a knowledge migrant.

Driving licence

For the first 185 days you are allowed to drive with your South African drivers licence. But in this period you need to apply for the Dutch drivers.

TB Examination

Within the first 3 months, you have to go for a TB examination. You can do this at the GGD in Utrecht.